The birth of my infatuation or perhaps I should say my obsession with photography began in the mid nineties. Then my main subjects were my children, since my children have left the nest for many years now my passion for photography has never faded but rather grown in a different direction. I have discovered that beauty is never ending, taking on forms that I could have never imagined. I feel blessed that my world has expanded through photography and hope my passion never weakens.

03 March 2012

Tornado Warning and the Destruction That Followed

Today became quite the adventure. I traveled once again down Rt. 8. This time a bit further down. As I entered Pendleton County, KY for the first time I ran into a traffic jam. Okay not your typical bumper to bumper jam you'll see near the city but for this road the traffic was stopped with about 10 cars in front of me. Since you really have nothing else to do while waiting for the cars to start moving again, I decided to look around at the environment. It took a moment before it sank in, OMG! what the hell happened here? It looked as though someone had dropped a bomb right where I was sitting. Flashback to less then 24 hours ago and I remembered all the storms, not to mention tornado warnings here in the Northern Kentucky area. What I was looking at was the destruction left behind by one of those tornadoes. As I opened my window to start taking photos this overwhelming smell of pine filled the air in my car, I'm not sure if I will ever be able to buy a real Christmas tree again. I'm still in a bit of shock. I decided to follow the traffic up this steep driveway, I had to see more. I was quite relieved when I came upon a barn and a house with little damage but the trees around the property were destroyed. The wooded landscape was changed forever. I did find parts of the metal roof from the barn wrapped around the branches in the trees, the motor home turned completely on its side and yet cars only a few feet away were not even touched. As I was leaving it was hard not to notice the power plant in the background and to only imagine what would have happened to that plant if the tornado had taken a different path. The last photo really illustrates how powerful tornadoes can be.









No comments: